Remember to register the change of address within 7 days.
A legal domicile is where you have your permanent residence, where you generally stay during leisure time, keep your household items and normally use for sleeping. Anyone intending to stay in Iceland for six months or longer must have a legal domicile in Iceland. Changes of address must be registered within 7 days. Many of your rights are linked to legal domicile registration. As a result, it is extremely important that your legal domicile is correctly registered at all times.
Use the electronic delivery option to register any change of address in Iceland, on the A-250 form (Icelandic) / A-251 form (English). It saves time and effort.
- Temporary Residence: Students studying in a different municipality may retain their original domicile, in that case check the appropriate box above. A certificate from the relevant educational institution must be enclosed.
- Date of commencing cohabitation: A separate form must be filled in, signed by both cohabiting partners.
- Breakup of cohabitation: Cohabiting partners with children must submit certification of their breakup issued by the relevant District Commissioner. Otherwise the notification of change of address will not be accepted.
- Change of address for children under 18 years of age: The notification must be accompanied by a written statement of consent from the child’s custodian/custodians or person with whom the child was last registered. The name and ID No. of the person with whom the child is to be registered at shall be stated.
- Change of address for individuals 18 years or older: All individuals who are neither married nor cohabiting must fill in a separate form. Parents cannot change the address of their children who have reached the age of majority (18 years).
- When one of a couple changes address: If a divorce is planned or separated couples are resuming joint residence, this should be mentioned in Comments. The spouse to whom the other spouse (partner) moves must confirm on a separate form that the two are living together.
- Different rules apply when changing address depending on whether you are moving within Iceland, from Iceland or to Iceland. Special rules apply when moving to or from the Nordic countries. Special rules also apply between EEA countries other than the Nordic countries.