I am a student
I am a student
Those who are students, exchange students or undergoing vocational training in Iceland must request to be registered as a student if their stay exceeds one term (3–4 months).
An application is not processed until all documentation has been received and the applicant has arrived at a registration office and presented passport and other necessary documentation.
Forms that needs to be submitted electronically:
- A-271: Application for registration in the national registry for period exceeding three months. The applicant must fill out the form and state their own email address where the registration certificate will be sent via email after registration has been completed.
- Following documents must be submitted together with the application:
- A copy/photo of a passport or legal travel document with at least 6 months remaining of its term of validity.
- Confirmation of school admission.
- Exchange student agreement (if applicable).
- Confirmation of health insurance. Travel insurance is not sufficient.
- Documents confirming ability to provide means of support for at least three months (only applies for students 18 years and older).
- Students 17 years old and younger must also submit the following documents:
- A birth certificate.
- Parental consent and copy of legal identification documents.
- Consent of host-parents and copy of legal identification documents.
- Confirmation from exchange student organization.
- For students 18 years and older it is optional to submit the following documents together with the application:
- Birth certificate.
- Marital status certificate. Applicants are encouraged to submit their marital status certificate because marital status may affect individuals’ various rights, and their children (if relevant).
Upon arrival in Iceland, the applicant must go to a registration office and present the original copies of the following documents:
- A passport or legal travel document with at least 6 months remaining of its term of validity.
- Parental consent (f applicable).
- Birth certificate (if applicable)
- Marital status certificates, if they were submitted in the application process.