Document requirements

Foreign documents delivered for registration need to be original. In general, Registers Iceland requires that foreign documents delivered for registration in the National Registry are legally confirmed (legalised or authenticated). If documents are not in English or a Nordic language, a certified translation must be attached.

  • If a document cannot be translated in Iceland, the competent authority in the country issuing the certificate must issue a confirmed copy in English. If it is not possible to obtain confirmation from the authorities, it may be sufficient to obtain confirmation of the certification of the party translating the document and attach this confirmation to the document. Registers Iceland evaluates documents that are in English and Nordic languages.

    List of certified translators

    Association of Certified Court Interpreters and Translators

    The certification of court interpreters and translators at the District Commissioners’ website

  • There are two recognised ways to legally confirm documents, Apostille certification and legalisation. The manner in which a document is legally confirmed depends on its country of origin.

  • To obtain an Apostille certification, the original copy of the document must be brought to the entity responsible for such certification in the document’s country of issue.

    Information on what countries are parties to the Apostille Convention.

  • The document must have legalisation from the document’s country of origin and Iceland’s embassy in that country, i.e. the document must be stamped twice before being considered legally confirmed. To obtain such stamps, the original copy must be sent to the Foreign Ministry of the country that issued the document. The Ministry confirms the document and forwards it to the Icelandic embassy in that country. Finally, the Icelandic embassy in that country confirms that the earlier stamp is correct.

    Information on Iceland’s embassies.

  • Mandates need to be dated, and the names and ID numbers for everyone involved should be specified: the person giving the mandate, the person receiving the mandate and two attesting witnesses.

    The person receiving the mandate needs to identify themselves with a valid ID (ID card, Icelandic driving licence or passport) when presenting the mandate.

    The mandate needs to specify the act that is mandated, such as receiving certificates, passports or the notification of moving for another person.

    Mandates need to be signed by the person giving the mandate as well as the two attesting witnesses.

    Foreign nationals that do not have an Icelandic ID number need to attach a copy of their passport or travel ID to the mandate. The signature needs to be visible on the copy.


For moving within EEA/EFTA

  • The following health insurance plans are sufficient as health insurance for the purposes of EEA/EFTA registration. Only one of the following must be submitted:

    • EHIC health insurance card
    • S1
    • Private insurance

    Note that travel insurance is not sufficient unless it is clearly stated that the insurance also applies if the domicile is registered in another country and that the insurance period is long enough.

  • The statement of means of support is a certified statement declaring that a particular person intends to support another person during the stay in Iceland.

    The statement of means of support has to include information on who supports whom, a dated declaration of the willingness and ability of the signer to support the person in question, signed by the person who intends to provide support. The statement must be certified by two persons of legal age.  

    Documentation confirming the ability to provide means of support must be attached (see above), along with copies of legal identification of the party providing support, if applicable.

Change of address for children

  • The declaration of consent is a certified statement of consent for a child to be domiciled in Iceland.

    The declaration of consent must include the date, names and birthdays of parents and children, consent for change of address and registration and the signature of the non-moving parent. In the exceptional cases when parents do not move with the child to Iceland or who do not have a legal domicile in Iceland (e.g. in the case of exchange students under the age of 18), both custodians must sign the declaration and it must clearly state with whom the child is to be domiciled in Iceland.

    The statement must be certified by a notary public, or a copy of the identification of the person in question must be attached. The statement may not be more than 6 months old when it is submitted, and a copy of the identification of the person not moving to Iceland must be attached.